what is the Kumasi Carnival?
Kumasi Carnival is a grand carnival, organized by Mas Africa (A UK based carnival events company. It is a carribean type of carnival where colourful costumes, masqueraders on stilts, carnival puppets, acrobats and a whole array of street entertainment are performed.
This year, the carnival is set to happen in kumasi on the 2nd of November among other activities. This is all in an effort to foster unity between the Ghanaian community and the diaspora in this year of return 2019.
The National commission on Culture in partnership with the Ghana – Caribbean Chamber of Commerce is calling one and all to return to mother Ghana to participate in the lined up activities marking the “Year of Return”.
This will be climaxed with a grand carnival, organized by Mas Africa (A UK based carnival events company) on the 2nd of November.
It’s the Caribbean type of carnival however there will be seminars, durbar of Chiefs and visit to tourist sites. The ceremony of the wall of return where Diasporians will wash their feet and face to signify their return home.
Be prepared to witness colourful costumes, masqueraders on stilts, carnival puppets, acrobats and a whole array of street entertainment.
The Year of Return
This is part of the year of return activities for 2019. The “Year of Return, Ghana 2019” is a major landmark marketing campaign targeting the African – American and Diaspora Market. It marks 400 years of the first enslaved Africans arriving in Jamestown Virginia. The Year of Return seeks to make Ghana the focus for millions of African descendants reacting to their marginalization. This is by tracing their ancestry and identity. By this, Ghana becomes the beacon for African people living on the continent and the diaspora.
In Washington, D.C., in September 2018 Ghana’s President Nana Akuffo-Addo declared and formally launched the “Year of Return, Ghana 2019” for Africans in the Diaspora, in relation to the quest to unite Africans on the continent with the sixth Region diaspora in and outside the continent.
The Kumasi Carnival Program is packed up with amazing activities cutting across sight seeing, presentations, seminars, street fairs and of course the grand street carnival on 2nd November.
ITINERARY FOR CARNIVAL EVENTS
29th October, 2019
- Arrival of distinguished guests
- welcoming of the Ghana Government , Kumasi cultural center Dir. Cocktail at Ikes cafe and greetings from Caribbean and beyond.
- Courtesy call on the Ashanti King and presentation of gifts. Durbar of Chiefs and Queen Mothers and Unveiling of the Monument of Liberty and Reunification (Wall)/ Speeches from the Diaspora.
- Made in Ghana street Fair (Opening)
- Seminar, Day 1 – Topic” Investment Opportunities in Ghana” by the Trade Ministry
31st October, 2019
- Seminar, Day 2 – Topic” Investment Opportunities in Ghana” by the Trade Ministry
- Tour some businesses in Kumasi
- Made in Ghana street Fair
1st November, 2019
- Made in Ghana street Fair
2nd November, 2019
- Street Carnival procession from Stadium to Jubilee park where there will be music, food, drinks and entertainment.
- There will also be a fashion show by a Canadian based designer who’s done the big stage on New York fashion week and London fashion week.
- Made in Ghana street Fair (Final Day)
- Dinner and Awards
5th/6th November, 2019
- Roots Synergy Round table on a Decade of Return in Accra
This is an opportunity for all citizens and non citizens living in kumasi to witness beauty in its rare form. This is a first of its kind in Ghana and you wouldn’t want to miss this for anything in the world.
See you at Jubilee Park on 2nd November!!
Passionate about Travel, arts and culture.
Unearthing stories worth sharing through tourism. Promoting local involvement in tourism and culture.
Telling the Ghanaian story, the Ghanaian way.
(Books, Travel, food and fashion).