The Accra Book Festival has released its list of the top 27 books by Ghanaian writers both home and abroad. The book campaign seeks to celebrate 27 of the most essential books written by Ghanaians since 1992. The books represents the verdict of the reading public on the cultural, political, social and economic development of Ghana since 1992.
According to the administrators, 535 unique nominations were made by the general public. A three man committee was then put in charge of the selection process. The members included Isaac Kwame Batun, Charles Y. Grey and Edith Hammah. The books with the highest nominations were chosen and compiled. The main objective of this program was to mark the 27th anniversary of the fourth republic by focusing on books that that have contributed in shaping the country. It was also a way of tracking Ghana’s literary industry.
The books spans from 1992 till date and the writers come from diverse backgrounds both home and abroad. I believe every Ghanaian must read some of these books because they tell our story and shows how far we have come as a people.
The top 27 books by Ghanaian Authors
1. My First Coup D’etat by John Dramani Mahama
2. Mandela The Spear And Other Poems by Proffessor Atukwei Okai
3. The Promise Of Hope New And Selected Peoms by Kofi Awoonor
4. End Of The Tunnel by Peggy Oppong
5. Faceless by Ama Darko
6. The Hundred Walls Of Salaga by Ayesha Harruna Attah
7. Blood Invasion by Lawrence Darmani
8. The Twelfth Heart Elizabeth by Irene Baitie
9. Big Bishop Roko And The Altar Gansters by Kojo Laing
10. Freedom Symphony : Selected And New Love Poems by Roffessor Atukwei Okai
11. Seasons Of Beento Blackbird by Akosua Busia
12. The Kaya-girl by Mamle Wolo
13. Powder Necklace by Ekua Brew-hammond
14. Tail Of The Blue Bird by Nii Ayikwei Parkes
15. The Justice by Boakyewaa Glover
16. Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selassie
17. A Silent Heritage by Letitia Obeng
18. Haiku Rhapsodies ( Verses From Ghana) by Celestine Nudanu
19. Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
20. Definition Of A Miracle by Farida Bedwei
21. Sam, A Life Of Service To God And Country Sam by Okudzeto and Franka-maria Andoh
22. A Sense Of Savannah by Kofi Akpabli
23. Major Genti And The Achimato Wars by Jojo Laing
24. True Murder by Yaba Badoe
26. Sundowners by Lesley Lokko
27. The African Agenda by Camynta Baezi
Passionate about Travel, arts and culture.
Unearthing stories worth sharing through tourism. Promoting local involvement in tourism and culture.
Telling the Ghanaian story, the Ghanaian way.
(Books, Travel, food and fashion).